Thursday, April 26, 2018

Two Cruelty-Free Cleansers I'm Loving Right Now

 photo Cleansers_zpsxcifjlhz.jpeg
I've had a few people ask me over on Instagram about my skincare routine – so I thought it was high time I showed you! Today I'm sharing two cleansers I've been using for the past several months that have made a huge difference in the clarity of my skin...

Honestly, when we transitioned from Philly to Maine last year, my skin wasn't looking so great. I let the stress of moving get the better of me, and when you pair stress with a side of depression-lite, things can go off the rails pretty easily (pizza! beer! all the sugar!) – at least for me.  In my world it's a slippery slope into emotional eating that's often reflected right back in the mirror by way of breakouts. So after a summer of pretty clear skin, I arrived in our new state with congested pores, dry patches, and breakouts on my chin (so fun!). Along with significantly cleaning up my diet, which has honestly taken several months to turn back around, I needed a new skincare routine. Especially a new cleanser. So I did what any normal person would do. I googled "cleansers for pore congestion".



My search led me back to a product I used years ago – Jan Marini Bioglycolic Face Cleanser. This cleanser contains Glycolic acid, which gently exfoliates and clears away impurities and dead skin. When I first used it way way back, I didn't quite understand the benefits and how it should be used, but upon trying this cleanser again – it did what I needed it to do. Which was clear away the congestion so my skin could breathe. What do I mean when I say "congested skin"? While not exactly acne-prone, I noticed the skin on my chin was constantly bumpy and just looked clogged (I know, ew.). I learned that without proper, gentle exfoliation, dead skin cells can sort of "glue" themselves to new skin. Blocking pores and preventing skin from properly functioning. From October through February I pretty much used this cleanser daily (only at night), and occasionally as a mask (leave it on for 3-5 minutes, then wipe away with a damp washcloth and rinse, avoiding eyes). I did start to notice more dryness, which is when I switched things up and added a second cleanser to use on opposite days...

The Biossance Squalane + Antioxidant Cleansing Oil. I actually bought this cleanser back in November, as part of a Black Friday set (I'm obsessed with the Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil, which I'll talk about in a future post), but didn't start using it right away. Turns out, this cleanser is the perfect balance to the Jan Marini products. It removes stubborn eye make up super easily and dissolves impurities. I was worried it would clog my pores, considering how well the Glycolic cleaner worked, but it proved to be a nice balance. I use this almost daily in the evenings, and also when I just need to remove makeup before using the Jan Marini cleanser. On a broader note, I love the mission behind Biossance and their dedication to clean, science-backed sustainable beauty. I use several products from the brand and have loved almost every single one. Best part? You can order samples for free (+ the cost of shipping), so there's no huge commitment. This is actually how I got hooked on the oils – through Instagram (typical, haha). Also, pro tip: keep your small sample bottles and refill from the full size when you're traveling!

Lastly, what makes these cleansers ones I'll likely use far into the future is that they're both cruelty-free. I've been slowly overhauling my beauty/skincare/life products to ensure that none are tested on animals and I was thrilled to find out that not only is Biossance cruelty free, but Jan Marini is too (I was actually a little surprised about that for some reason). Also, there's an excellent app that scans bar codes and tells you whether a product is cruelty free – Cruelty Cutter. 10/10 recommend.

Do you have a cruelty-free cleanser you swear by? I'd love to know!